View My Stats

Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Taste The Borscht". Part Two.

If you read the last post, you are now familiar with "Taste The Borscht".

When I was about twenty, and still living at home with my parents, my mother thought it would be a nice idea to have all my college friends, who were all still living at home with THEIR parents, over for a nice dinner.
My mother, Bella, considered herself the Perle Mesta of Flushing, New York.
Quite the party-giver.
She was making one of her specialties, meatballs and spaghetti.

During the preliminaries, before dinner was ready, my father, a pretty good joke-teller, decided to regale the assembled gathering with his rendition of the joke we now know as "Taste The Borscht".
He told it well, and got sincere laughs from the assembled gathering, which included my mother, Bella.

My mother, in typical Perle Mesta style, had set the dining room table quite elegantly.
Our best China, glassware, tablecloth, beautiful cloth napkins, etc.
But our best silverware was not out there.
In fact, NO silverware was out there.
The approximately eight of us, including my sister, were summoned to the table, after Bella's pronouncement of "Dinner is served".
She then brought out this huge bowl of meatballs and spaghetti.
Enough to feed an Army.
Or at least a fairly large Battalion.
She returned to the kitchen to bring out other food items.

At this point, my father couldn't resist.
He called out to where she was in the kitchen:
"Hon, come out here! Taste the spaghetti!
From the kitchen, we hear "What are you talking about?!
My father reiterates: "Taste the spaghetti!

Now, at this point, I should remind you that Bella was very much present in the room when my father did "Taste the Borscht".

From the kitchen: "I already tasted the spaghetti! It's fine!

From my father: "Just come out here, and taste the spaghetti!

Bella, indulging him, comes out of the kitchen, and after being totally oblivious to the fact that there is NO silverware out there, sticks her fingers in the bowl, pulls out many strands of spaghetti, puts them
in her mouth, and says "I told you it was fine. It's fine."
I, not being able to resist, immediately follow her lead.
I stick MY fingers in the bowl, pull out many strands of spaghetti,
put them in my mouth, and say "She told you it was fine. It's fine."
My sister, sitting to my right, then follows my lead, sticks HER
fingers in the bowl, pulls out many strands of spaghetti, puts them
in HER mouth and says "She told you it was fine. It's fine."
My three college chums immediately to her right individually follow suit in the precisely the same way:
"She told you it was fine. It's fine."
At this point, Bella, observing this, faces reality.
".......there's no silverware."
At which point, all of the rest of us raise our respective index fingers into the air, and simultaneously say "Aha!"

Truth is almost invariably better than fiction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My book, "Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store, You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
You might want to check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com
The website "On Screen & Beyond" has two hours of an interview I did on it's podcast in their archives.
Just Google On Screen & Beyond to find them if you're interested.

******

1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."