View My Stats

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

An Apology, Over Forty Years Overdue.

I was an Exec-Producer on a sitcom over forty years ago.
We had a large cast.  It was referred to as a "gang comedy"
I did a few of them.
I've started a watching a series on Netflix.  A food show.
It is very entertaining.
The host is very personable.
The creator of "Everybody Loves Raymond", Phil Rosenthal.
He oozes charm and humor.
He concentrates on a different city around the world on each show.
We had a really good cast on that series 40 years ago.
One of them was an actor who was very good, who I think I wasted.
He went on to have a major TV writing career.
He did at least a season Co-Executive Producer on "Everybody Loves Raymond".
I feel like I've missed something by not having met Phil Rosenthal, much less being
his friend.
So, I watched the show he did in Los Angeles.
And as part of "foodie tour" he did there he went to a restaurant owned and run by that same
actor.
And also by his family and kids.
And it was delightful.
But I immediately started to dwell on how I insulted him 40 years ago.
I know I insulted him because he called me out on it.
At the time, I just got very defensive.
But looking back on it, I was just stupid.
Quite idly, I said to the actor in question "when we were holding auditions, I was convinced
that you were the second best for every part we were casting."  And I was.
I had no idea that I was insulting him.
I thought it was a complement.
That's how stupid I was.
An actor doesn't want to hear that he's the second best anything.
After a moment of thought, I realized he was right.  But regretfully, I never apologized.
I'm sure that if my name ever comes up, it's that insult that he'd immediately fixate on, and I wouldn't
blame him.
I'm not going to out him.
If you want to figure out who I'm talking about, it's not that hard to figure out, but I'm
not going to help you.
It's bad enough that I said it. I'm embarrrassed that I had the need to bring it up.
Please just indulge me my "mea culpa".
-----------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@comcast.net
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."