View My Stats

Friday, October 18, 2019

Report Card---"Lakeboat"

It's that time of the year again.
When my blog becomes all about reviewing the movies I get from the studios in the form of DVDs.
So why am I starting with a movie that was made 19 years ago?
Because Robert Forster died last week, and I realized that I hadn't seen nearly enough of his films.
I was reading about him on Leonard Maltin's blog, which redirected me to an episode of Maltin's podcast.  What Maltin usually does is ask his subject to name his own handful of his favorite films.
Maltin usually agrees.
They were both very complementary about a film called "Lakeboat".
I'd never heard of it, and it was made in the year 2000.
It is sitting on Amazon Prime.
So I'm beginning the fall season of Report Cards with "Lakeboat".
As usual, I ask of myself the same series of questions that I always use, and grade the films accordingly.

On to the scoring.

Is it interesting?

Very.
A.

Compelling even?

Often.
A.

Is it good storytelling?

It's kind of light on story.  Which is actually an asset.  It doesn't get in it's own way.
Totally character driven.
A.

Is it well written?

It's based on a play by David Mamet.  What's better than that?  It all plays out in Mamet-speak.
If you don't know what that is, look it up.

Is it well cast? Well played?

Tremendous.  On all levels.
Charles Durning.  Peter Falk. Robert Foster steals the picture with a couple of monologues.
A+

Well shot?

Very.  It all takes place on a huge steamer that goes up and down Lake Michigan.
They opened up the play really well.
A+.

Did the director put such a personal stamp on it so that no one else could have made it?

No.  But Joe Mantegna did a really nice job.
A.

How long does it take to establish the film's locale and time period?

Immediately.
A.

Is it too long? Too short?

Perfect.
A.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?.

Totally, and totally.
A+.
.
Is it predictable?

No.
A+.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

Often  It is autobiographical for Mamet, when he was in his twenties.
A.

Is it funny?

Often, and side-splittingly.
A+.
.
Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

Yes.
A.

Is it impressive?

I think so.
A.

Overall grade: A.

A good way to start the fall season.  Go to Amazon Prime to check it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."