View My Stats

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Binge-Watching "Naked City".

With the coronavirus wreaking its havoc wake, and our all being in the house, you might be looking for something to binge-watch.
I have a recommendation for you:
Amazon Prime is streaming all four seasons of "Naked City" of the great police drama of the early 1960s.
It captures New York in a way that no other show did.
Mostly on location, with about half the locations no longer there.
I grew up in New York, at the time.  And I remember all of them.
Ignore the first season, which was a routine, half-hour, run of the mill detective series.
And they lost the two leads, James Franciscus, and John McIntyre.
And it was no loss.
They were both killed off.
After that season, it became an hour series, with the most exceptional writing and acting performances, with many actors going on to have major careers.
Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, at their youngest, just getting started.
The cop leads were Paul Burke and Horace McMahon.  Who were both great.
Particularly Horace McMahon.  Perhaps the hammiest actor who ever worked regularly on a series.
No one could over-play a scene the way Horace could.
And it was glorious to watch.
Paul Burke and Nancy Malone, his ongoing love interest were perhaps the most appealing romantic
couple ever on television.  As a young adolescent, I found her especially appealing.
It was the days when it was easy to find parking spaces in Manhattan, and most cars had enormous
tail fins.  It was beautifully gaudy.
"Naked City", now unlike then, was anything but naked.
And we now have IMDB, so you can track down whatever actor you are interested in.
Most of them are dead now, which is sad.
But most things in life these days are sad.
So if you're looking for great television, that is easy to access, you can't do better than "Naked City".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

2 comments:

  1. I came to Naked City very late in life but found it amazingly interesting to watch. I bought the DVD box set and immediately got hooked. One of my weirdest hobbies is to find filming locations for movies and TV shows and Naked City was no different. Here's a link to my mania: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1Gj07GmAHBTrth_koYLHvikDeT0U&ll=40.731801462292864%2C-73.95041297060169&z=11

    ReplyDelete
  2. pg autoslot เป็นหนึ่งในเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่ได้รับความนิยมจากผู้เล่นในวงกว้าง เป็นผลิตภัณฑ์ของ PG บริษัทพัฒนาเกมแห่งเอเชียที่มีชื่อเสียงในวงการสล็อตออนไลน์ ด้วยความคมชัดและฟีเจอร์ที่น่าสนใจ

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."