"Silver Linings Playbook" is a very good movie.
It is a light-hearted look at bi-polar mental illness.
This would seem to be a contradiction in terms, but they manage to pull it off.
It is, in fact, a romantic comedy.
It's not in my top four, which now includes "Life of Pi", but it is quite good on many levels.
On to the scoring:
Is it interesting?
I wouldn't go that far.
Is it controversial?
The subject matter is, so the movie is.
Is it a story worth telling?
Is it good storytelling?
Is it well written?
Is it well cast? Well played?, Well shot?
Bradley Cooper is very good.
DeNiro steals the picture and deserves the Oscar.
He's hilarious every time he opens his mouth.
Nothing spectacular about the direction or shots.
Is it too long? Too short?
No problem at all with the length.
Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?
Yes, and yes.
Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?
Nothing predictable, and nothing really surprising.
Do you think about it after you've seen it?
Is it funny?
Like I said, DeNiro's a hoot.
Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?
Is it impressive ?
Overall grade: A-.
The only thing I have really gushed about here is DeNiro.
The rest of my answers were fairly brief.
But it is a quality movie.
My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at email@example.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.
- ► 2016 (79)
- ► 2015 (81)
- ► 2014 (101)
- Report Card---"Django Unchained"
- Report Card----"Lincoln"
- Report Card---"Silver Linngs Playbook"
- Report Card---"Life Of PI"
- The Last Time He Parked His Karkus.
- Report Card---"Arbitrage"
- Report Card---"Forbidden Broadway...Alive and Kick...
- Report Card---"The Master"
- Report Card---"Moonrise Kingdom"
- This Year's Travesty
- Report Card---"The Other Place"
- Report Card---"Dead Accounts"
- Report Card---"The Anarchist"
- The Last Angry Man. 4.
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2012 (99)
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (21)
- mark rothman
- Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."