In general, one never knows what the director's true contribution is to a film, unless he also wrote it.
Bearing that in mind---
Morten Tyldum - The Imitation Game- Seems well-directed. He didn't write it. God knows what to make of it.
Alejandro G. Inarritu - Birdman- DID write it. Gets the credit and the blame.
Richard Linklater - Boyhood- Wrote it, if there was in fact, writing. Gets all the blame.
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel- Doesn't matter whether or not he wrote it (he did). The directorial mastery is all over the screen.
Bennett Miller - Foxcatcher- Didn't write it. Didn't seem worth writing. The direction added nothing to it.
My choice (Surprise!): Wes Anderson.
Next time, Best Picture.
My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at email@example.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.
- ► 2016 (79)
- Report Card---Love Is Strange"
- Why "Birdman" Didn't Deserve It's Oscars---Spoiler...
- Rothman's Picks For The Oscars. Part Four.
- Rothman's Picks For The Oscars. Part Three.
- Rothman's Picks For the Oscars. Part Two.
- Rothman's Picks For The 2015 Oscars. Part One.
- Report Card---"Inherent Vice"
- Report Card---"Nightcrawler"
- Report Card---"Gone Girl"
- Report Card---"Wild"
- Report Card---"Foxcatcher"
- Report Card---"Boyhood"
- Report Card---"Into The Woods"
- Report Card---"Still Alice"
- Report Card---"Whiplash"
- ▼ February (15)
- ► 2014 (101)
- ► 2013 (131)
- ► 2012 (99)
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (21)
- mark rothman
- Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."