View My Stats

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Report Card---"Grandma"

"Grandma" is essentially a chick-flick, directed and written by a man.
This is rather unusual.
That being said, it is a pretty entertaining, interesting film.
It stars Lily Tomlin, who actually plays a lesbian in this one.
It's mostly about her grand-daughter showing up at her doorstep, pregnant, needing an abortion.
Them dealing with it is the thrust of the film.

On to the scoring:

Is it interesting?

Pretty much.
A.

Compelling even?

Not really.
C-.

Is it controversial?

Abortion is always controversial.
A.

Is it a story worth telling?

Yes.
A.

Is it good storytelling?

Fairly good. There is an issue about raising enough money for the abortion. As if there aren't any free clinics.
B-.

Is it well written?

The dialogue is excellent.
A+.

Is it well cast? Well played?

Very.
A.

Well shot?

Nothing special.
C.

Did the director put such a personal stamp on it so that no one else could have made it?

Not in the least.
C-.

How long does it take to establish the film's locale?

They never do. It looks like L.A. what with palm trees and smog, but it's never alluded to.
It seems like a story that belongs in the Bay Area, but it doesn't have that feel.
D.

Is it too long? Too short?

It moves briskly.
A+.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?

Yes, and yes.
A.

Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?

Not really an issue.
No grade.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

Not really.
C.

Is it funny?

Occasionally. When it wants to be.
A.

Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

No. Very little is.
F.

Is it impressive?

Yes. Rather.
B+

Overall grade: B.

When it's on cable, it's worth your time.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not
e-books. But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one. If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.

And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

1 comment:

  1. my client, who might be best described as a barbara sinatra-type clone hated the movie. i laughed, in my own head, as she regaled me with her opinions.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."