View My Stats

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Report Card-----"Straight Outta Compton"

This is a movie that makes me feel really old and out of it.
It's essentially a bio-pic about Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, and assorted other rappers.
I didn't know whether they portrayed themselves, or whether they were actors.
At the end, I learned that they were actors.
They lost me right off the top for a while.
The early scenes began in 1986, and the characters were wearing baseball caps that had the Major League Baseball logo on them,
which was not available like that to the general public in 1986.
So authenticity was compromised right off the bat.
This was not a movie designed for me.

On to the scoring:

Is it interesting?

Here and there
B.

Compelling even?

On rare occasions. They did not lead boring lives.
B-.

Is it controversial?

Their lives were controversial
A.

Is it a story worth telling?

Yes. But not to me.
B.

Is it good storytelling?

It's a 2 and a half hour movie, and there is about a half hour worth of interesting.
C.

Is it well written?

It sounds authentic, but I really have no way of knowing.
B.

Is it well cast? Well played?

It has that problem that too many movies have. Many of the actors look too much like each other.
And it's not just a race thing.
Paul Giamatti was outstanding, and not just because he's white.
There were a couple of other white actors who made no impression.
B.

Well shot?

Too much was shot in the dark. That didn't help me differentiate.
C.

Did the director put such a personal stamp on it so that no one else could have made it?

Not to me.
C-.

How long does it take to establish the film's locale?

It's established immediately in the title.
A+.

Is it too long? Too short?

Way too long, unless you're a fan of rap. And maybe even then.
C-.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?

Yes, and yes.
A.

Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?

I knew nothing going in, so everything was a surprise.
A.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

Not really.
C.

Is it funny?

Not ever.
F.

Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

Not mine.
F.

Is it impressive?

Yes.
B+

Overall grade: B-.

You're attitude about rap will determine your enjoyment.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not
e-books. But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one. If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.

And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."