View My Stats

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Rothman's Picks For The Oscars---Best Picture.

The Big Short (Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers)

Bridge of Spies (Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers)

Brooklyn (Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers)

Mad Max: Fury Road (Doug Mitchell and George Miller, Producers)

The Martian (Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer and Mark Huffam, Producers)

The Revenant (Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Mary Parent and Keith Redmon, Producers)

Room (Ed Guiney, Producer)

Spotlight (Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin and Blye Pagon Faust, Producers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the category that really gets my goat.
Eight nominees.
Maybe four of which are deserved.
Strike "Brooklyn", "Mad Max: Fury Road", "The Martian", and "The Revenant"
Replace them with "Carol", "The Hateful Eight", "Trumbo" and "99 Homes".
Now there's a list that anybody's mother could love.
With that list, I would vote for "Carol".
Easily the most impressive film I've seen in quite a few years.
And it has Cate Blanchette. Or maybe you knew that.
Any other year, I could have easily voted for "The Hateful Eight" or "Trumbo"
But there is no write-in opportunity.
"99 Homes" was a much better, more dramatic version of "The Big Short".

Getting back to reality, there's only one nominee left that is worth my vote---"Room".
That was also quite excellent.
The key word there is "also".
So I am now going to stop my bellyaching and vote for "Room".

Enjoy the show!
If I've got any commentary about it, you'll hear about it afterwards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books, "Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@comcast.net

And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Jeff Franklin on Full House: "Garry Marshall had everything to do with it. I started my career on Laverne & Shirley and Garry really established that formula. He had a very sentimental score underneath a hard scene in every episode of Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, and Mork & Mindy. That was his baby. Miller-Boyett basically worked under Garry initially. And when were developing the show back then, we stayed within Garry’s formula. I give him the credit more than anyone."

    Any comment

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."