View My Stats

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

How David Janssen Got The Part As "The Fugitive"

I learned this first hand from the man who was David Janssen's agent at the time.
He was later on my first agent in Hollywood.
He was directly responsible for Janssen getting this job.
I would be too embarrassed to admit it.
But then, I'm not the legendary Abby Greshler,, the agent in question.
He seemed to revel in telling it.
Quinn Martin was the very successful producer of many dramatic series of the 1960s
Abby couldn't even get Martin to look at him, even though Janssen already had a hit series in the late 50s,  Richard Diamond.
That's the one where you only got to see Mary Tyler Moore's legs.
So Janssen wasn't exactly an unknown.  And he was pretty good on Richard Diamond.
But Quinn Martin wouldn't budge.
He wouldn't see David Janssen.  He wouldn't even give him a meeting, much less a reading.
Abby Greshler remained undaunted, even after Quinn Martin stopped taking his calls.
There was an upcoming ABC affiliates meeting where the new Fall Lineup would be announced.
"The Fugitive" was announced for the Fall Schedule.
But the lead wasn't cast yet.
And Abby knew this.
How did he know this?
Abby had a way of knowing everything.
Maybe he was pitching one of his other clients.
So he went to this event, and brought David Janssen with him, dressed appropriately I'm a tuxedo.
He saw Quinn Martin go into the men's room.
He made his move.
He dragged Janssen into the men's room with him, spotted Martin at the urinal.
He went right over to Martin and introduced him to Janssen, who just stood there sheepishly.
And Abby just leapt into his pitch, with Martin holding his dick in his hand.
During mid-piss, Martin relented and agreed to meet Janssen on Monday.
And one thing led to another and Janssen got the part.
It worked out well, don't ya think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@comcast.net
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."