View My Stats

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Upgrades on "Decades"

First, they have  brought back reruns of "The Ed Sullivan Show".
It's far less than perfect.
It's poorly edited.
They show them in  2 back-to-back half-hours usually from the  same episode.
They replace most of the music that accompanies the jugglers and acrobats, and the unicyclists,
and the guy spinning the plates with generic music that they don't have to pay for.
It seems cheesy and it is.
But where else are you going to see Totie Fields these days?
So you overlook the crappy production values and revel in the overwhelming nostalgia of it.
I'm addicted to it.
But the main thing they trot out are wonderful episodes of the original live episodes of the great anthology series "Studio One". 
They are not edited at all, and easily recapture what was great about Live Television of the 1950's.
They are on almost every day.  Always new episodes.  And they're all in black and white. 
Get used to it
They're on at odd times, so just set your DVRs..
This is rare stuff, and we owe a great debt to "Decades".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@comcast.net
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I adore the Cavett show! When Antenna TV announced the return of Carson, I was moist over it, but most often, I'm bored by his monologues. I've caught a few good moments, but they're few & far between. On the other hand, Dick is terrific & his show always delights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totie Fields was a heroine long before heroine was chic. And my favorite of her wisdom, one that hit close to home, was the statement, "I don't understand it. If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they make lettuce taste like lasagna."

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."