View My Stats

Monday, December 3, 2018

Report Card---"Can You Ever Forgive Me?"

This is a great movie.
Frankly, the first great one I've seen this year.
Melissa McCarthy stars as a writer in the 90s of biographies, who's work I was familiar with.
Lee Israel.  She was a hack writer.
After a while, her books stopped selling.
And out of desperation she turned to a skill she didn't realize she had.
She was a great forger of literary letters.
And she started making a substantial living at it.
Until she eventually got caught.   

On to the scoring.

Is it interesting?

Fascinating.
A+.

Compelling even?

Very much so. If I was in her situation, and was a hack, which I don't believe I am, I could picture myself turning to this life of crime.
A+.

Is it good storytelling?

Excellent.
A+.

Is it well written?

Extremely.  Nicole Holofcener is one swell writer.
A+.

Is it well cast? Well played?

Excellent.  A nice turn by Jane Curtin.
A+.

Well shot?

Very well.  
A.

Did the director put such a personal stamp on it so that no one else could have made it?

Not really.
B. 

How long does it take to establish the film's locale and time period?

Immediately.  Begins  in New York in the 90s.
A.

Is it too long? Too short?

Perfect.
A+.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?.

Yes, and yes.  It's a true story.  There's nothing not to believe.  And she makes you care a lot.
A+.
.
Is it predictable?

It was all news to me, and I had no idea where it was going.
A+.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

A lot.
A+.

Is it funny?

Often. And extremely.
A+
.
Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

Yes.
A+.

Is it impressive?

Very.
A+.

Overall grade: A+.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

2 comments:

  1. A hack writer? Really?

    I'm no literary critic, but I loved Lee's, "Tallulah," and adored, "Killgallen." It was Israel's voice that drew me in to Dorothy's story.
    Yes, I was a fan of Lee's and was quite surprised by the Lauder bio. That one seemed almost, unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had to recognize her own growth as a writer when she attempted to tell her own story. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."