View My Stats

Monday, June 10, 2019

Let's See How Gay We Can Be.

I know the Tony Awards is a gay event.  It never bothered me before.  Until this year.
But there's gay, and there's gay.
It seems like the agenda this year was to prove just how gay it can be.
Everyone seemed to outdo themselves.
Many years the Tony Awards provided the impetus for me to go to New York for and get a major
theatre fix.
Not this year.
None of the excerpts from any of the shows made me want to start packing.  I'm staying home.
"Tootsie" played in Chicago and I almost saw it when it was here.  I just missed it.
From the number they did, I don't feel like I've missed anything.
"The Prom" seemed to be about two Lesbian girls going to the Prom, where the big deal was when
they kissed each other on the lips in public.  Their teacher was the flitting actor on the stage all night.
The appeal of "Hadestown" was lost on me.
A major deal was made about the handicapped girl who won for Best Featured Actress In A Musical.
She played Ado Annie in the Revival of "Oklahoma" in a wheelchair.
She sang "I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say 'No'.
This created an unseemly image in my head. It became a song about a morally loose girl who couldn't function below the waist, so she must have given great blowjobs.
There were practically no excerpts from the nominees for Best Play.
I think I would have liked to see "To Kill A Mocking Bird".
And I would've loved to see a scene from "Network"
But neither was on display.
Bryan Cranston made the best acceptance speech.
James Corden was a very funny host.
And the show had its moments.
But not the kind to drive me to attend the theatre.
Maybe next year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, but you're sounding like a Straight Pride Parade reveler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine with me, at least people won't be dancing in the street with rubber peckers on their heads!!!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps if Mockingbird had actually been nominated for best play...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."