View My Stats

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Citizen Kane---The Most Overrated Movie I Can Think Of.

No, I'm not kidding.
You know what I never noticed the first 30 times I saw it?
How you don't care about anybody on the screen.
Yes, it was certainly a great technical achievement for it's time, with the low ceilings and all, but we've certainly come a long way since then.
And there are some great showy performances. But there has never been any emotional involvement in the story.
And it took my 36th viewing of it for me to notice it.
I was blinded by the ceilings.
And it has the most serious case of miscasting in the history of movies---Dorothy Comingore as
Susan Alexander Kane.  Her entire performance is actively annoying.
Maybe that's what Welles was going for, but it certainly doesn't wear well.
Not if it's supposed to be the greatest movie of all time.
There are some great scenes---Kane rewriting Jed Leland's review of Susan's opening night as an
"opera singer".  The "newsreel" at the beginning is terrific.
But too many don't stand out.
So give me "Casablanca" any day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rothman, thank you for your blog. I haven't checked in for years but the Garry Marshall special tonight prompted me. That was a wonderful time in american culture and you are a living link. Spot on re: citizen kane btw.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."