View My Stats

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Report Card---"The Perks Of Being A Wallflower"

"The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" is a movie that definitely has merit.
But it's not the kind of movie that you embrace, or fall in love with.
There is an overhanging pall of melancholia about it that is pervasive.
That being said, it is also quite moving, and effective.
This is a living definition of a mixed review.
It deals with a high school freshman, with no friends, trying to make his way through the high school experience.
He also brings a lot of baggage with him, so at no point is it easy.

On to the scoring:

Is it interesting?

It certainly holds your interest.
B+.

Compelling even?

Not really.
C.

Is it controversial?

Not really.
C.

Is it a story worth telling?

I'm sure a lot of people would think so.
It helps if you are a lot younger than I am.
B.

Is it good storytelling?

For the most part.
B-.

Is it well written?

There are things that could be clearer.
B-.

Is it well cast? Well played?, Well shot?

The young leads are very good and very affecting.
The problem for me is the older actors.
Dylan McDermott (The Practice) has this throwaway part as the young lead's father.
And I don't like thinking of him being old enough to be a high school kid's father.
Melanie Lynskey, best known as the creepy Rose on "Two and a Half Men", plays an even creepier part here. She seems to have found her niche.
The great Joan Cusack has a throwaway part in this.
A part that could have been played by anybody.
Why waste her like this?
Plus, she looks quite a bit older than the last time I saw her.
I don't need to see that.
Maybe she doesn't either.
C+.

Is it too long? Too short?

It definitely needs trimming.
C.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?

Very much and very much.
A.

Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?

Not at all predictable, and there is a bit of a surprise.
A-.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

Not hardly.
C.

Is it funny?

It cries out for more humor.
C-.

Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

No.
F.

Is it impressive ?

Somewhat.
B+.

Overall grade: B-.

How's that for a mixed review?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."