View My Stats

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Report Card---"Cloud Atlas"

I'm going to handle this one a little differently.
I'm going to reveal a key piece of information about it that I wish I had before I saw it, because I would have enjoyed it that much better.
It becomes apparent very early on that Tom Hanks and the other key actors are each playing several parts. In the first half-hour or so, it seems like there are roughly half-a-dozen Peter Sellers running around.
It seems a little gimmicky.
You find yourself mostly trying to guess if that's the same actor in different makeup, or another actor.
It seems distracting.
My advice is, make the buy that they are doing this, and don't let it affect your enjoyment of the film.
If you do that, you will much better appreciate the enormous payoff that awaits you.
This is a movie that is very life-affirming, and very afterlife-affirming.
Just go with it.

On to the scoring:

Is it interesting?

Fascinating.
A+.

Compelling even?

Quite.
A+.

Is it controversial?

Incredibly.
A+.

Is it a story worth telling?

It is about six stories worth telling.
A+.

Is it good storytelling?

It blows you away.
A+.

Is it well written?

Extremely.
A.

Is it well cast? Well played?, Well shot?

Superbly, in all respects.
As I watched it on my sixty inch flatscreen, I felt a little disappointed that I didn't see it in the movies in 3D.
I found out later that it wasn't shot in 3D. I was stunned.
The film is gorgeous.
A+.

Is it too long? Too short?

It is a very long film, and you are aware of its length, but if you were me, you wished it would never end.
A.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?

A tremendous effort is made to make it believable and make you care about the characters. And all the effort is worth it.
A+.

Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?

Nothing is predictable, and the payoff, as I indicated, is spectacular.
A+.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

A whole lot.
A+.

Is it funny?

Here and there.
It's not really about humor.
B+.

Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

Definitely.
A+.

Is it impressive ?

One of the most impressive films I have ever seen.
A+.

Overall grade: A+.

I love movies that are a triumph of imagination.
This is that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."