View My Stats

Monday, February 27, 2017

Rothman's On The Case. (I.E. "There's Always A Woman")

First of all, it was a very entertaining show.
Particularly if you take my approach and watch it on half-hour tape delay, and skip through most of the technical awards.
Jimmy Kimmel seemed most at home as the host.
Made me  laugh out loud quite a few times.  Beginning with referring to Meryl Streep as "wildly overrated"
The highlight of the evening was when they brought out the women from "Hidden Figures" to give out the Best Documentary Award, accompanied by one of the original math geniuses whom the film the film was based on.
This was immediately followed by the lowlight of the evening: giving the award to the "O.J." documentary.  A film that only exists because of the most lurid, exploitative event of our times.
I mean, that woman, that pioneer, who did more for our country than most of us, was sitting on stage as those selfish producers were going through their  self- congratulatory flailings, celebrating two bloody murders, could just sit there and watch.

I found the "In Memoriam" segment particularly disturbing: mainly because of the unusually high ratio of honorees that I never heard of compared to those I has in previous years.
There were literally 21 people honored who I, I having spent a lifetime in show business, never heard of.
The list was literally sprinkled with publicists, and script supervisors, whilst---

Edward Albee--who wrote "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?"

Hugh O'Brian--Many movies, and Wyatt Earp, for chrissakes!

William Schallert---Patty Duke's father, more movie credits than just about anybody.

Gloria DeHaven---An actual movie star.

Fyvush Finkel---memorable in all of his appearances.

Marvin Kaplan---One of the movies' great character voices and faces.

Noel Neill---TV's most noteworthy Lois Lane.  Also appeared with Gene Kelly in "An American in Paris"

Abe Vigoda---Most memorable as Tessio in "The Godfather", then for all those years of people thinking he was dead when he wasn't.

Frank Sinatra, Jr.---Okay, he didn't do much in movies, but come on!  He was still Frank Jr.!
Don't we still want to make the old man happy?

Remove half of the "honorees" that you had and add these.  Then you got something.
This was just the tip of the iceberg.

Now, to the Warren Beatty matter:  We're missing the obvious here.  Beatty didn't read ANYTHING.
Emma Stone never let go of the card that had her name on it. 
She went right up to the mike in the press room and showed it off.
Do you really want to believe that there was a duplicate card?
That's Price Waterhouse's only job.
To avoid this kind of shit.
So what happened?
My best guess, and I think it's more than a guess,  is that Beatty, 80 years old, too vain to wear eyeglasses, blind as a bat, couldn't read the card, and showed it to Dunaway without giving it to her.
Dunaway, also known for her vanity and also blind as a bat also couldn't read it, but pro that she was, stepped up and read the card and she just guessed, and all hell broke loose.
I really don't like disparaging bats like this, but point out the flaws, here.  I'll listen.
Believe what you want.
I've got my story, and I'm sticking to it.
It's more fun to blame Faye Dunaway, anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books, "Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries that have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@comcast.net
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne and Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. It actually is pretty clear that Beatty did have the wrong envelope. Freeze framing the video, one can clearly see that the envelope he was holding said "Best Actress in a Leading Role". From what I read, there really are two full sets of envelopes in order to allow the presenters to enter from either side of the stage. Beatty must have entered from the opposite side from where Leo DeCaprio entered and was accidentally handed the duplicate Best Actress envelope instead of the Best Picture one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I have to make more of an effort to indicate that I am kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. สล็อตฝาก20รับ100 เว็บสล็อตโบนัสแตกง่าย สล็อต ได้เงินจริง สามารถเล่นได้บนโทรศัพท์มือถือ ตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."