View My Stats

Monday, May 20, 2019

Sammy Shore Dies, father of Pauly and Founder of the Comedy Store.

This is how he will be remembered.
He was also a stand-up comic.
Most people don't remember his stand-up act.
This is mainly because it wasn't memorable.
Almost before the term was invented, Sammy Shore defined the term "hack comic".
But he made a great living at, opening in Las Vegas, and Lake Tahoe for such headliners as
Tony Orlando, Barbara Streisand, Tony Bennett, and Elvis Presley.
They all had one thing in common besides being huge stars.
They were all funnier than Sammy Shore.
When you have Sammy Shore open for you, you don't have to worry about him stealing your thunder.
I used to see Sammy Shore when the Comedy Store first opened all the time.
He'd would do his act usually about 20 minutes there most evenings.
It wasn't unbearable.
It was merely unnoticeable.
He would usually slither around the stage, and get very few laughs.
And there were so many great acts that regularly appeared at the Comedy Store at that time.
Richard Pryor, David Letterman, Rodney Dangerfield....
There was one night when Leonard Barr was onstage doing Rodney's material.
Rodney was waiting to go on and noticed this.
He immediately charged the stage and began corrected Leonard's delivery.
It was hilarious, and I was there to see it.
The only time I saw I saw Sammy Shore do more than 20 minutes was when he guested on the
David Frost Show in the 60s.
Apparently, the lead guest fell out, and Sammy Shore turned out to be the only guest.
Ninety minutes of Sammy Shore.
Ninety minutes of David Frost fawning all over Sammy Shore.
I couldn't believe it.
I don't think HE believed it.
But he was a nice person.
He gave us the Comedy Store and that was a good thing.
Go well in the next life.  Just try to be a little funnier and a little less hacky.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."