View My Stats

Monday, May 13, 2019

What's With This "Jeopardy" Guy? Part Two.

I had the middle seat.
Yes, in those days all the contestants were seated.
The board was revealed.
There were two show business categories.
"Actors and their roles" and "Broadway  Musicals".
I figured that there would be an audio Daily Double under "Broadway Musicals".
I quickly took control of the board and ran through "Actors and their roles"
I went right to "Broadway Musicals" and got the first three questions right.
The fourth was the audio Daily Double.
I bet everything I had, and got it right.
I was then sitting on over twelve hundred dollars.
The Champion had about three hundred.
The third player was just along for the ride.
That was how the first board ended.
Double Jeopardy offered no show business categories.
I felt like I was in trouble.
The producer came up to us during the break and said "this game is far from over"
It seemed he realized how much I agreed with him.
It seemed like every category left was some variation of Greek Mythology.
I stopped competing.
The Champion sensed my weakness.
I had time to answer all the questions, and just didn't know any of the answers.
The Champion caught up to within a hundred dollars of me going into Final Jeopardy.
I had $1280.  The Champion had $1180.  The third player had $150.  Along for the ride.
The final category was "4 letter words".
I felt I had a chance.
I was very good at crossword puzzles.
But I stuck to my game plan.
I was going home with $1000.
So I bet $280.
The Final Jeopardy Answer was "synonym to prevalent, it's 4 letter can be found in the word "fervid".
It took me two seconds, and it hit me.  Rife.  R-I-F-E.
And I knew it was right.  R-I-G-H-T.
I heard the Champion start writing.
I was sure she had it and I was doomed as far as winning the game was concerned.
I offered up my slate out of turn.
Art Fleming corrected me.
The third player got it wrong and lost all of her $150.
The Champion bet a thousand dollars and beat me easily.
She ended up winning $2180.
An enormous one-day win in those days.
I won $1560.  An enormous second place finish.
So what have we learned from this?
I don't know if Holzhauer could have done anything resembling this today.
There was a five day limit in place.
But even if the rules were the same, Holzhauer seems to rely on an enormous intimidation factor.
He has everyone beat even before he starts.
I was faster on what I knew.
I would have been at least competitive.
But I knew I couldn't have beaten him.
His area of knowledge is enormous.
Maybe he intimidates the other players the way Trump intimidates other Republicans.
Just a theory....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."