View My Stats

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Tim Kinway.

When Tim Conway started his career, he used his real name---Tom Conway.
Rose Marie, who discovered him in Cleveland, where he was working on a local TV station,
told him that he had to change his name.
There already was a somewhat famous actor named Tom Conway.
He played "The Falcon" in a series of movies in the forties.
And he played "Mark Saber" in a very early TV series.
Also he was George Sanders' brother.
So Tom changed his name to Tim.
Rose Marie suggested that he go all the way with it, and change it to Tim Kinway.
Tim, or Tom, passed on this request
I don't t think it would have made any difference.
Tom, or Tim, was a brilliant and one-of-a-kind comedian.
He only had two successful TV series.
"McHale's Navy" and "The Carol Burnett Show".
And he was great on both of them.
In both cases, he was better than the writing.
He was one of the few performers who didn't need writers.
He also had a bunch of flop series.
It's well known that he had personalized license plates that spelled out "13 WKS".
He had a variety series in the early seventies, that was as good as anything.
For on it was a take-off on The Step Brothers.
It was made up of Craig T. Nelson, long before he did "Coach".
Barry Levenson, long before he was a director.
And Rudy DeLuca, who did a lot of work with Mel Brooks.
The Step Brothers were great fast tap-dancers.
Their take on them was to never dance, but just to fake the moves, while they all sang "Opus One".
It was hilarious.
I miss him already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My books, "Show Runner" and "Show Runner 2" can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store,
along with newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
They are all compilations of blog entries have since been removed from the blog.
So this is the only way you can find them.,
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne and Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not e-books.
But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, there's my reading of my screenplay of my unmade "Laverne and Shirley" movie on "YouTube".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."