View My Stats

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Weiner Comps.

Maybe you've noticed.
Maybe you haven't.
But I have not written one word about the Anthony Weiner scandal.
Until now.
And now, I'm probably the last person with a blog to bring up the subject.
"Why?", you might ask.
Because while it was on the front page of every newspaper, I simply didn't think I had anything to add to the discussion.
It has taken me all this time to realize that I do.
So even though I'm late to the party, I'm now going to jump in.

Over at least the next couple of sessions, I'm going to try to determine the closest comparable celebrity scandal to Anthony Weiner's.
Much like I did when trying to come up with the closest comparable singer to Eddie Fisher the week that he died.
And just recently, by determining that Walter Matthau was the closest comparable actor to Peter Falk.

This will be based on several criteria:

1) Seriousness of the scandal.

2) Degree of embarrassment he caused to himself and others.

3) Whether or not an actual crime was committed.

4) Whether or not the scandal caused him to resign from his job.

5) Nature of the sexual indiscretion.

6) The extent to which lying was involved.

7) The likelihood of his recovering from the effects of the scandal.

See? That last one is what makes this a scientific endeavor.

The closest comp will be the best indicator of what will become of
Anthony Weiner.

So I'm not just frittering away my time and yours.

Along the way, we will visit the usual suspects.
And maybe some we've all forgotten about.
Grades will be handed out.
Much like report card grades.
Grades of comparability.
The one with the highest grade is the closest match to Anthony Weiner.

The one thing I can't quite recall clearly about all of these instances is which ones of these, for lack of a better word, scoundrels, actually had their wives up on stage next to them as they were apologizing to America as a whole.
Weiner didn't.
But I don't think that this is a major factor.
I think it's more of a reflection on their spouses than on the apologists.
If I do remember specifically about certain cases, I will certainly make note of it.

So, see ya next time, as we dig in to "The Weiner Comps".

Let the fun begin!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My new book, "Mark Rothman's Essays", ones that were culled from the blog and are no longer there, along with a surprise bonus, is available for purchase.
Please e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com for more info.


******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."