View My Stats

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Beginning The Honorables.

First, let me mention that the my entire reading of my Laverne and Shirley Movie
screenplay is now up on YouTube.
It is divided into eight parts.
I'm quite gratified by the initial e-mail response I have received from
those of you who have been following it since it started going up.
If you keep at it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I have an odd reaction to anything I have written but haven't seen in a while:
I completely forget that I have written it.
I know other writers who experience that.
So I watched the reading on YouTube in it's entirety, and it made me laugh
all over again, mostly because I had forgotten what I had written.
And I always was a very good audience for myself to begin with.
I'd love to hear any further reactions you have to it.

Okay. We will now begin with a rather limited beginning to the Honorable Mention list for Best TV series theme songs of all times.
They will appear, as did the previous list of worsts, in descending order, from least honorable to most each day.
Each succeeding day will have better themes that deserve honorable mentions than the previous day.
Again, in descending order, until we reach the top ten.
And remember at all times that all of these choices are subjective.
I've so far compiled a list of 35 TV themes that I think are worthy of bringing up.
25 Honorables, then the Top Ten.
Here are the first three Honorables:

"The Defenders"

One of the truly lost shows. It never shows up anywhere these days.
There is no DVD collection of it.
It was an important show.
It reeked of importance.
It won all sorts of Emmys in it's day, which was the early sixties.
I was a teenager.
It was on Saturday nights, usually when I was babysitting.
The music reeked of importance, too.
When it came on the screen, it gave me goosebumps.

"Ben Casey"

The music accompanied a very exciting opening.
The camera was placed to give you the point of view of a patient on an operating
table, as it is being quickly wheeled to the operating room..
We see overhead lights zipping by.
The music gives you the urgency of getting this guy you)into surgery.
The composer is David Raksin, also a great film composer. He wrote the song
"Laura" and the theme music for that movie.
He was one of the greats.

"The Rebel"

For only one reason. The title song was sung by Johnny Cash.
Until I saw "The Rebel", I had never heard of Johnny Cash.
I didn't know if he ever did anything else but sing the title song of "The Rebel".
It bowled me over.
And I found out that he did other things.

More next time.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store. Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, we've got YouTube.


******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."