View My Stats

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Yet Even More Kindling.

You probably haven't noticed, but Wednesday, there were over 300 articles on
the blog.
On Thursday, there were only about 130.
This is because I have once again ravaged and ransacked the blog, removing articles
to turn them into two new Kindle books.
I discussed one of them, "The Man Is Dead", last time.
Today, I will discuss the other one.
It's called "Report Cards".
You regular readers have been exposed to these posts here and there.
But this is the only collection of them together.
They are my reviews of movies and plays that I've seen, beginning in 2009,
continuing on to the present.
I decided on this rather unique approach when I found myself exposed to far too
many clips of movies I hadn't seen, and critics telling me far more about what I
would be seeing than I wanted to know.
By the time I have seen all the clips, I felt like I've already seen the movie.
So I never reveal how the plot plays out.
I answer pertinent questions, usually the same ones, that I pose to myself, about
these movies. And if you find that your taste coincides with mine, this book might prove to be invaluable.
I almost never go to the movies.
My only real exposure to the movie experience is during Award season, where my
various Guild and Academy cards get me into the movies for free.
I generally consider movies to be way overpriced.
But when it's free, and the studios send me DVDs, which they do every year, of
films that they deem worthy enough to promote for awards, I pay attention.
And go out of my way to know as little about them as possible going in.
You'd think that, by only sending and offering only the films that they deem
award worthy, that they'd all be pretty good.
They're not.
Some of them are really good.
Some of them suck.
Which leads me to wonder just exactly how bad all those summer blockbuster movies
are that I never allow myself to have access to.
So consider this my joining the ranks of Leonard Maltin and Roger Ebert, who have their own collections of movie reviews,
The main difference between them and me is that I definitely approach the
experience from a screenwriter's point of view.
With plays and musicals, there are far fewer opportunities to know what you are
about to see, unless you pore over the reviews,
And I find most New York reviewers to be incompetent.
So I rely on the Shit Detector that is lodged inside my brain.
I usually end up with a much higher batting average ratio of what I like vs. what
I don't with plays.
And I'm still able to withhold key informstion about the play that can diminish the
experience for you.
Some of the Report Cards have been omitted from the book, and are still on the
blog. A smattering. That's simply because I forgot to tranfer them.
I think I approach all these Report Cards with a professional sense of humor.
So make your sojourn to the Amazon Kinde Store, where you can read samples, and see for yourselves if any of this is appealing to you.
They are both filled with bookoo pages, and I think that they're both pretty big
bangs for the buck.l
It's at least worth a look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store. Along with "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.


******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."