View My Stats

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Reaching The Promised Land.

Here we go with numbers 10 through 6 of my Top Ten Favorite Movie Themes.
As we descend down the page, the choices, to me, are more worthy.

10- "Street Scene"

It's originally from a movie made in 1931, composed by Alfred Newman (Randy's uncle).
It is the definitive "We are in New York City, looking at the Brooklyn Bridge spanning the East River from the Brooklyn side, so we can see Manhattan" movie theme.
It was also used as the theme of the film-noir "I Wake Up Screaming", and maybe others that I don't know about.
It was also used as a pure overture, in it's entirety, for the movie "How To Marry
A Millionaire"
It's there, as are all the others, on You Tube, if you are unfamiliar with it, and want to hear it.

9- "Johnny Belinda"

My first Max Steiner entry, which, if you are an aficianado, might think the other's gonna be "Gone With The Wind"
It ain't.
You don't need me to tell you that "Gone With The Wind" has a great musical theme.
The main point here is to enlighten.
"Johnny Belinda" is a very touching, very poignant film, with a musical theme to match.

8- "Now, Voyager"

This is the other Max Steiner entry.
It makes the movie.
No other piece of music could have justified Paul Henried lighting two cigarettes
in is mouth and giving one of them to Bette Davis to puff on, and doing it all with
a straight face.

7- "Shane"

The theme is by Victor Young, and without that ending music, as Alan Ladd is riding off on his horse, into the distance, and young Brandon DeWilde is crying out "Shane! Come back Shane! Shane! Come back!", I never would have been reduced to mush.

6- "Cat Ballou"

I've been trying to find a way to squeeze this one at least into the Top Five, but
I just couldn't find a way.
Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye as two balladeers, setting up the entire movie in song.
It's a wonderful movie, and would be without their contribution.
But this was just wonderful icing on the cake.
The only sad part about it was that Nat King Cole had already died of cancer by the
time "Cat Ballou" was released.
But time has a way of making that less painful.

Next time, the Top Five.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperback, "Mark Rothman's Essays" is still available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******

1 comment:

  1. I'd forgotten about the Johnny Belinda theme -- yes, you're right on the money about that. I don't know that I've ever watched the whole movie, but I've occasionally tuned to on while channel surfing just to hear that theme. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."