View My Stats

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

....And No More Ribbons, Either.

We'll get back to the OTN soon, but I experienced something so dismaying yesterday that I think it is more worthy of your attention today.
I was reading the great Mark Evanier's blog yesterday, and he posted about eight minutes of comedian Lenny Schultz's act.
I was vaguely aware of Lenny Schultz, who has been around since the seventies, but this concentrated eight minutes of Lenny Schultz made me appreciate him like I never did before.
And he made me laugh uproariously.
One of the things he did was record pantomimes.
Lenny is obviously a disciple of Jerry Lewis, who turned record pantomimes into an art form.
It's the way he started his career.
And he turned it into a high art form.
He was magnificent at it.
Four examples of it immediately come to mind:
1-His miming of a Carmen Miranda record, fruit on his head and all, in one of his early movies with Dean,
2-His miming of Mario Lanza singing "Be My Love", which I saw him do on "The Colgate Comedy Hour", among other places.
3-His "Chairman of the Board" pantomime to a Count Basie recording in, I think, "The Errand Boy", and, for me, the coup de grace,
4-His pantomiming of Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter Song", which he performed or showed film or tapes of on virtually all of his telethons.
This one was unsurpassed.
It was in a league with the best of Chaplin and Keaton.
After I saw the clips of Lenny Schultz, I got into my car for a long drive to appear at a library here in Michigan to sell my books.
I put a CD in the player. It was a CD of Leroy Anderson's music. He was also known for composing "Sleigh Ride", "The Syncopated Clock", and "The Blue Tango", among others.
They were usually compositions that used novelty elements, such as an actual typewriter in "The Typewriter Song"
So I'm listening, and enjoying, and the orchestra goes into "The Typewriter Song"
And all of a sudden, I get depressed.
Because it is occurring to me that as time passes, fewer and fewer people will have any awareness of what a typewriter is, much less what it sounds like.
Now, it won't matter for posterity's sake that nobody remembers Carmen Miranda. Jerry Lewis's miming of her is still hysterical without that knowledge.
There will always be Chairmen of the Boards.
You don't have to know Mario Lanza to find "Be My Love" hilarious.
But once Jerry Lewis goes, and not that much more time goes by, his ultimate pantomime, "The Typewriter Song", will be as extinct as the dodo bird.
Because NOBODY WILL KNOW WHAT A TYPEWRITER IS!
Except maybe for some younger people who watch "Madmen"
And even there, you don't even hear the sound of the keyboard that often.
So young people probably think that these are simply early computers.
Most comedy is timeless, and it's a drastic shame that Jerry Lewis doing "The Typewriter Song" won't be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel, "Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays", and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings remaining, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one.
If you'd like one, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******

3 comments:

  1. Lenny Schultz was also a cast member on the short-lived BALL FOUR TV sitcom in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A residency at SFJAZZ may be stressful, but it's a blessing for an artist like Santos. His eight shows will all be properly promoted, he and his musicians will be fairly compensated, and they'll perform at a comfortable new venue with an enviable sound system. Santos is well aware that rising rents make it more and more difficult for jazz venues to survive and jazz artists to make a living. (tags: Coach Outlet Store Online , Michael Kors Bags Sale, Coach Outlet Store, MK Outlet)

    Some heard about the league from players already participating. Others saw what was going on in their neighborhood and joined up. (The league asks for a $20 fee, Santiago says, but they also raise funds to help those players who can afford it.). Elsewhere, a law criminalising up skirting came into effect in England and Wales this April (Scotland had deemed it an offence as far back as 2010); targeting those who point cameras up women's skirts or dresses for sexual gratification. But even this legislation is lacking; essentially giving the paparazzi a free ride regarding unscrupulous pictures of female celebs. For monetary exchange is the name of that sordid game. (tags: Cheap Real Yeezys, Discount Jordan Shoes Wholesale, Cheap Yeezys)

    Georgiev also offers an exercise in mathematics. In 2011 and 2012, 247,000 leva was allocated for the tournament in Albena (for venue hire), while the daily cost was just 15 thousand, and the tournament lasted just 10 days. Separately, a further 80 000 leva was paid for medical expenses, and 90 000 for food (tags: Jordan Shoes For Sale Cheap, 2020 Jordan Release Dates, Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a knock. Whadaa layer! Fullish delivery outside off stum, Kohli walks across and swees, hits it in the air and Bravo times his jum to erfection at backward square leg to take Coach Handbags Clearance it above his head. Great round of alause from the crowd as Kohli walks Yeezy Discount back with his bat raised.

    She Ra's target audience was a young female crowd to compliment the young male viewers of He Man. However, Ray Ban Outlet She Ra was still designed with toy lovers in mind, as a way to boost New Jordan Shoes 2020 the sales of Mattel's Barbie dolls. The plan actually seems to have worked, as Barbie sales topped $350 million by 1986, about a year Yeezy Boost 350 after Princess of Power began its syndicated run..

    The following article appeared in Mignolet, Benoit Curchod, Basile F. Coach Outlet Store E. (2018). Third, spending Ray Ban Glasses will be Coach Outlet increased. Whatever else happens, governments are going to be spending much more on their healthcare systems, drug development and preventative medicine. We have just discovered what a massive cost an epidemic can impose on an economy.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."