Gee, a really good movie where a first-rate actor plays one of our greatest presidents,
and it doesn't get nominated for anything?
Maybe it was no "Lincoln", but it was about FDR, who was no slouch.
Well, maybe he slouched, 'cause he didn't walk much.
And it starred Bill Murray, who is no slouch, even though he acted slouching.
"Hyde Park On Hudson" is a delightful movie.
It wasn't about the Civil War, but it was about civility.
About FDR entertaining the King and Queen of England, who were on a mission to elicit
Roosevelt's support for their war against Hitler.
It is quite entertaining and pleasurable to watch, and Murray, who looks nothing like
Roosevelt, still made you buy into it.
I said that I had one report card left, and this is it.
On to the scoring:
Is it interesting?
Is it controversial?
Not really, but it doesn't matter.
Is it a story worth telling?
Is it good storytelling?
Is it well written?
Very well written.
Is it well cast? Well played?, Well shot?
All of the above.
Is it too long? Too short?
Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?
Yes, and yes.
Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?
It is predictable to some extent, but there are delightful surprises.
Do you think about it after you've seen it?
Only about how good Bill Murray was.
Is it funny?
Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?
I could have waited to see it on HBO. Which will probably be soon.
Is it impressive ?
Overall grade: A-.
This one deserved a Best Picture nomination over at least half that got them.
My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not
e-books. But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one. If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at email@example.com.
And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.
- ► 2016 (79)
- ► 2015 (81)
- ► 2014 (101)
- And They Want Money For This.
- Report Card---"Hyde Park On Hudson"
- Rothman's 2013 Oscar Choices. Part Two..
- Rothman's 2013 Oscar Choices, Part One.
- Report Card---"Zero Dark Thirty"
- Report Card---"Les Miserables"
- A Major Announcement.
- Report Card---"Friends With Kids"
- Reporte Carte---"Amour"
- No, I'm Not Going To Disneyland, I'm Going On Lett...
- Report Card---"Promised Land"
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2012 (99)
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (21)
- mark rothman
- Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."