View My Stats

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rothman's 2013 Oscar Choices, Part One.

Please bear in mind that these are my choices.
Not necessarily who I think is going to win.
It's who I think SHOULD win.
Based on having seen most of the movies nominated.

I'll limit myself to six categories.
Three today, and three next time.

Best Supporting Actor:

Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained"

Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"

Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Alan Arkin, "Argo"

Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A VERY tough call.

Tommy Lee Jones was great in a role where it was easy to be great.
The writing was great. The part was great.

Christoph Waltz was wonderfully empathetic in what was arguably a leading role.

Philip Seymour Hoffman couldn't save "The Master" from being a disaster.

Alan Arkin was terrific in a great movie that would have been great without him.

Robert De Niro singlehandedly raised the level of a very good movie.

My vote goes to De Niro.

Best Supporting Actress:

Sally Field, "Lincoln"

Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"

Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"

Amy Adams, "The Master"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sally Field was wonderful in what could be deemed a leading role.

Anne Hathaway was quite touching in a pretty small part.

Jacki Weaver, I barely noticed.

Helen Hunt was in a movie I didn't see.

Amy Adams, I didn't notice at all. See Hoffman, Philip Seymour.

It's a one-horse race, and Sally Field is Secretariat.


Best Director:

David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"

Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"

Michael Haneke, "Amour"

Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

-------------------------------------------------------------

There was a lot of bellyaching about who didn't get nominated in this category.
Some of it from me.
The Ben Affleck camp probably had a legitimate beef for "Argo"
The Kathryn Bigelow camp should just shut up.
My beef was about Wes Anderson for "Moonrise Kingdom", where his directing was all
over the screen.

Of the ones who WERE nominated,

David O. Russell apparently poured his heart into "Silver Linings Playbook", and certainly elicited some wonderful performances.

Ang Lee's work in "Life of Pi" was nothing short of astounding.
He uses the camera as a paintbrush.

"Lincoln" was essentially a written movie, and I have no idea what Spielberg added
to it.

Michael Haneke in "Amour" went to the John Cassavettes School of Not Shutting off the
Camera and Not Yelling "Cut!"

I did not see "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Ang Lee by a country mile, even if Wes Anderson was nominated.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not
e-books. But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one. If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.

And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******



1 comment:

  1. While nutraceutical and pharmaceutical content in the baseline algae strain is very small,
    current market values for these products are extremely high.
    They give hope to the sufferers of many incurable and unstoppable diseases ravaging the
    population, such as cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other grave conditions. This means that by the time elementary school-age children reach the workplace, this system will be in place, requiring maintenance and advancements.

    My blog post - bio tech

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."