View My Stats

Friday, February 15, 2013

Report Card---"Les Miserables"

I approached "Les Miserables" with lots o' caution.
I've had many opportunities over the years to see the musical on stage, and never availed myself of any of them.
It was my shit detector at work, I guess.
Also, save for the Oscar nominations, it got pretty rotten reviews.
My reaction was somewhat in-between.
I don't think it deserved its Best Picture nomination, or its rotten reviews.
It had much going for it, and some going against it.

On to the scoring:

Is it interesting?

Much of the time.
B-.

Compelling even?

Never.
F.

Is it controversial?

The only controversial element I've heard about is Russell Crowes singing.
I had no problem with it.
B+.

Is it a story worth telling?

It's always been a classic.
A+.

Is it good storytelling?

For the most part, except that it is virtually through-sung, like an opera.
For me, this diminishes the impact of the storytelling.
B.

Is it well written?

The music is wonderful. The dialogue doesn't get in the way of it.
A-.

Is it well cast? Well played?, Well shot?

Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe are wonderful. Anne Hathaway is too, but she's not around that long. It is shot as overwhelming spectacle, and certainly is overwhelming.
A+

Is it too long? Too short?

It is very long. Long enough that, unless you're in the darkness of a movie theater,
you start looking around for other things to do while it's running.
D-.

Is it believable? Do you care about the characters?

Considering that nobody stops singing. yes, and yes.
A-.

Is it predictable? Does it surprise you?

I didn't know how it ended. Maybe I was the only one.
A-.

Do you think about it after you've seen it?

I wasn't even thinking about it WHILE I was seeing it.
F.

Is it funny?

On rare occasions.
C+.

Would it have been worth the thirteen bucks it would have cost to see it in the movies?

No. And if I had gone, it would have been at least another fifteen, due to all the trips I would have made to the refreshment stand.
F.

Is it impressive ?

In a big way. That's what it's got going for it.
A+.

Overall grade: B-.

You could certainly see all the money spent on it on the screen.
I'm glad that none of it was mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My books ,"Show Runner" and it's sequel,"Show Runner Two", can be found at the Amazon Kindle Store.
Along with the newer ones, "The Man Is Dead", and "Report Cards".
You can search by typing in my name, Cindy Williams, Laverne & Shirley, The Odd Couple, or Happy Days.
Check them out.
You don't need a Kindle machine to download them.
Just get the free app from Kindle, and they can be downloaded to an IPhone, IPad, or Blackberry.
The paperbacks, "Mark Rothman's Essays" and my new novel, "I'm Not Garbo" are not
e-books. But they are available for people without Kindle.
I have many readings and signings lined up for those, and the thing about Kindle is you can't sign one. If you'd like one of the paperbacks, personally autographed, contact me at macchus999@aol.com.

And now, we've got my reading of my "Laverne & Shirley Movie" screenplay on YouTube.

******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

Hi. I am, according to my Wikipedia entry,(which I did not create) a noted television writer, playwright, screenwriter, and occasional actor. You can Google me or go to the IMDB to get my credits, and you can come here to get my opinions on things, which I'll try to express eloquently. Hopefully I'll succeed. You can also e-mail me at macchus999@aol.com. Perhaps my biggest claim to fame is being responsible, for about six months in 1975, while Head Writer for the "Happy Days" TV series, for Americans saying to each other "Sit on it."